Skip to main content
Voice Recognition


Local Schools



Frequently Asked Questions

Can I supply the school with over-the-counter (OTC) medication for my child to take as needed?
No. The school will not administer medication on an “as needed” basis. All medications (even those sold without a prescription) require authorization from a licensed prescriber with dose, indications for use, and frequency. Required documentation can be provided by the school office.

What if my child is 18 years old? Is he/she permitted to possess and administer his/her own medication?
No. While on campus the school district is responsible for each student. As such, all students are subject to the policies as outlined in the student handbook, regardless of age.

What if my child has a severe allergy or chronic medical condition?
Any severe allergies and/or chronic medical conditions should be brought to the attention of the Health Coordinator. After speaking with the Health Coordinator, if it is determined that special accommodations, an Emergency Action Plan (EAP), or Individualized Health Plan (IHP) is needed, a meeting will be scheduled to further discuss those needs with the appropriate team members.

If your child has an allergy or medical condition requiring an emergency and/or daily medication or treatment, you will need to have the Authorization for Prescribed Medication/Drug or Treatment form completed by a licensed prescriber as well as yourself. Additional paperwork is needed if an Epi-pen or rescue inhaler is to be kept in the possession of the student opposed to being stored in the office.

Your child will be responsible for reporting to the office at the scheduled daily time for medication administration.

What if my child requires dietary modifications?
For dietary accommodations to be made by school nutrition services, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires documentation signed by an authorized medical authority that clearly documents 1) a disability recognized by the Americans with Disabilities Act, 2) the dietary accommodations that are needed, 3) a list of food substitutions and/or omissions.

The Americans with Disabilities Act does not allow for accommodations to be made in relation to religious or cultural preferences, non-disability medical conditions, or family preference or practice.

More information regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act and Dietary Accommodations can be found at:

When should I keep my child home from school?
If your child has an oral temperature of 99.5 or more, he/she should not attend school. Likewise, a child should not return to school until they have gone 24 hours without a fever or medication to treat fever.

If your child does not have a fever but is actively vomiting or experiencing diarrhea, he/she should not attend school until they have been symptom free for 24 hours.

If your child has a rash with itching and fever, they should not be at school without clearance from a licensed prescriber.

If your child has live lice or nits, they should stay home until all are removed.

If your child has an eye that is red, itching, and has drainage, he/she should not be at school without clearance from a licensed prescriber.

Please note that a child will not be excused from physical activity such as Physical Education or recess at the request of a parent / guardian. If exclusion is necessary, there must be an order from an authorized prescriber.